Hawthorne Medical Associates is an internal medicine practice with two locationsAthens and Watkinsville.
Our practice began in 1975 when Dr. James W. Thompson first hung out his shingle. In 1989, Dr. Fred Young joined the practice. Since then we've continued to add physicians to our practice. Dr. Thompson retired in 2005.
QUALITY HEALTHCARE FOR A LIFETIME
At Hawthorne Medical Associates, we are here to help you live healthy, active and independent lives. We are concerned with preventing disease and promoting good health as well as treating illness. Our physicians are all Board Certified in Internal Medicine, and are specially trained to deal with problems affecting adults of all ages. We see patients in two convenient locations:
Hours: 7:45 am-5:00 pm
Hours: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
Oconee Health Campus
Hours: 7:30 am-5:00 pm
Saturday hours are from 8:30 am to 12:00 noon. Please call any office to find out which location is open on a particular Saturday.
We see patients by appointment only. Same day appointments are usually available for established patients. For new patients, please arrive 30 minutes before your appointment time to complete paperwork. If you need to cancel an appointment, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance.
Forms to Complete Before Your First Appointment
What Is Internal Medicine?
- We're experts in adults.
- We're trained to know how to prevent, diagnose and treat diseased primarily affecting adults.
- Our training is broad and deep, including diseases of the heart and blood vessels, diabetes, digestive diseases, hormonal disorders, infections, kidney diseases, respiratory disorders, allergies, arthritisfrom adolescence to the elderly, from the office to intensive care.
- We're specially trained to solve puzzling diagnostic problems. We handle severe chronic illnesses. And situations where several different illnesses may strike at the same time.
- All our physicians are Board Certified in Internal Medicine.
Hawthorne Medical Associates' goal is to provide comprehensive care for all aspects of men's and women's health, including:
- Acute and chronic illness
- Complete physical exams, school and work exams
- Women's routine care including pap smears, Bone Density Testing and treatment
- Cancer screening for prostate, colon and breast cancer
- Heart evaluation
- Minor surgery and cryosurgery
In our offices, we perform basic testing for glucose, urinalysis, urine pregnancy tests, hemoglobin A1C (for diabetes monitoring), and tuberculosis screening. A representative of a major reference laboratory is available in our office to draw specimens for all other tests your physician may order.
Electronic Medical Records
In 2004 we began using electronic medical records. This means your medical records are stored on our secure computers and are available to our physicans from either office location, at the hospital, and at their homes. We hope this increased availability and communications improves the quality of the care we provide to you.
New Patient Forms
Our Practice Policies
Secure Patient Login